Chair Students - Gabriel Lee
Gabriel Lee, MBBS (Hons), MS, FRACS
Senior Registrar at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth WA.
- Keith-Sheridan prize medicine/surgery in 1994
- Ruth Heighway medallion/prize for obstetrics 1994
- WA Dibden prize for psychiatry 1995
- Awarded RACS/University Scholarship 1999
- Awarded Justin-Miller Prizes 1999 & 2001, Nimmo prize 2001, Johnson and Johnson prize 2002
Research in the Neurosurgery Department: 1999
As a third year medical student, I did not know that neurosurgery actually existed. While spending time at a local hospital in Borneo, I met a Japanese neurosurgeon who invited me to participate in all his neurosurgical operations. He also taught me to make my first ever burrhole in a patient’s skull with the perforator drill, a memorable moment for a young medical student.
"Over the years, the NRF has provided valuable support toward neurosurgical research. Research eventually translates into improved care of our patients. These skills will undoubtedly enable me to better serve the community in the years to come."